York Security Services endeavors to keep you safe by providing a number of different resources easily accessible on campus. This page will help you to identify all security personnel and resources available to you in case of an emergency.
Security Control Centre
You can contact or go to our Security Control Centre (open 24 hours) to access Security Officials and other personnel to report incidents. The Security Control Centre is located at 228 William Small Centre on the Keele Campus.
Your Security Team
York Security Officials are trained professionals, available 24 hours a day, to respond to all incidents on campus. Their uniforms make them easy to identify, and you can see them patrolling campus on foot, in marked vehicles, and on bikes (weather dependent).
Patrol Security Official
- Foot, bike, vehicle
- Responds to incidents, calls for service
- Performs First Aid/ CPR and AED
- Alarm Response
- Emergency Response
Residence Watch Official
- Monitor and control access to residence buildings
- Patrol and respond to incidents in residence
- Assists students as necessary
Campus Relations/ Crime Prevention/Investigations
- Community outreach and education
- Event security planning
- Statistical Analysis and Crime Prevention
- Investigative services such as incident/complaint follow up, assist law enforcement
"WHY WORK ALONE" Security Check
Are you concerned about working alone in a classroom, lab or office at night or on weekends and holidays? If you are working alone between 6 p.m. and 7 a.m. Monday to Friday, or anytime on weekends or holidays, you can call Security Services at extension 58000 and report:
- Your name.
- Where you are working.
- How long you will be working.
- A phone number where you can be reached (if available).
- If you would like security escort when you are finished.
The security operator will ask if you can be phoned hourly during the estimated work period or visited periodically by Security or Student Safety Officer if no telephone is available. If you do not respond to a telephone check, security staff will attend the work site to ensure you are okay.
You must call the Security Control Centre upon completion of the work period, or if you decide to leave earlier or stay late than reported.
- The York goSAFE Team provides you with a safe escort on foot from any on-campus location, and will wait with you until your transportation has arrived or until you are inside.
- To arrange for a goSAFE escort, call 416-736-5454 or click here to learn more about goSAFE.
- The off-campus shuttle provides transportation to off-campus housing in the Village. These services run from Monday to Friday, during the fall and winter terms, from 6pm to 2am (see schedule for specific dates).
- Click here to learn more about the Off-Campus Shuttle.
Important Tools on Campus
|Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)Blue Light Emergency Phones||
|Indoor Safety Phones||
|LCD Emergency Screens||